Do I need a visa to travel to the Philippines?

Returning Balikbayans or former Filipinos may enter the Philippines without a visa and stay for a period of one (1) year, provided that they have a passport valid for 6 months beyond the intended stay in the Philippines and proof of former Philippine citizenship (e.g. old Philippine passport or NSO-authenticated birth certificate). Foreign spouses and children traveling with the Balikbayan will enjoy this privilege.

Canadian passport holders are allowed to enter the country without a visa for a stay of up to 30 days, provided that the nature of their trip is tourism and their passports are valid for six (6) months beyond the intended stay in the Philippines.

Nationals of a number of other countries with which the Philippines maintains diplomatic relations may also avail themselves of this visa–free privilege for a stay of up to 30 days. Please see re: GUIDELINES ON THE ENTRY OF TEMPORARY VISITORS TO THE PHILIPPINES or contact the Consulate General for more information.

Canadians who wish to stay more than 30 days in the Philippines and nationals of countries who are not extended the 30-day visa-free privilege should apply for a visa before traveling to the Philippines.

Extension of Authorized Period of Stay in the Philippines

In case of a temporary visitor's visa holder whose stay in the Philippines will exceed the authorized period of stay, he/she will have to report to the Bureau of Immigration, secure an extension of stay and pay the corresponding immigration fees. Information on fees for extension of stay and other Immigration fees are available at the Bureau of Immigration website (

For other visa information, please visit or